Thursday, March 29, 2007

Storm Chasing

It's seems from the news and weather casts, we are into tornado season in parts of the country. In fact, some people have lost not only their homes, but their lives already. I just watched a news cast that showed numerous tornadoes and funnels video taped by "storm chasers". Storm chasing. Now there's an interesting past time. I've not really considered being a storm chaser. One reason for that is when it comes to storms and chasing, I have too many times been the chasee.

You don't grow up where I did and not know about tornadoes. I grew up in "Tornado Alley". In fact, I grew up in Tornado Alley of Tornado Alley, which is northeast Oklahoma. During the height of tornado season, we would go to the cellar at least once a week. I have, not by choice, either seen or been up close and personal with over a dozen tornados. I have toured the horrific aftermath of a mega killer tornado that hit a town I used to live in. In fact, one of my childhood homes got hit by a tornado while we were home one evening. We all survived, but I've got to tell you, it's not an experience I would actively pursue. In fact it sucked out loud (that's a little twister humor if you didn't catch it) It is from this background, I have one thing to say about storm chasing.

Chasing a storm is stupid. In my opinion, it's a lot like a dog who is always chasing cars. It seems like a lot of fun, until you actually catch one!

But, if you insist on chasing storms, maybe you should just hang around me. One will show up sooner or later. I can almost guarantee it.

No comments: